Love Christmas pudding but can’t eat gluten or dairy?26 Nov 2018
Well don’t cross it off the menu just yet!
Those with food intolerances take note! There’s no missing out with this delish Christmas pudding that is gluten and dairy free thanks to Australian Women’s Weekly.
Prep + cook time 6 hours 20 minutes serves 12
What you’ll need:
• 2¼ cups (360g) sultanas
• 1½ cups (240g) chopped raisins
• ½ cup (80g) dried currants
• 1½ cups (210g) coarsely chopped seeded dates
• 1½ cups (375ml) water
• ½ cup (125ml) orange juice
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 cup (220g) firmly packed light brown sugar
• 185g (6 ounces) dairy-free margarine
• 1 cup (125g) soya flour
• 1 cup (180g) rice flour
• 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
• ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
• 2 teaspoons mixed spice
• 1 cup (120g) ground almonds
How to make it:
1. Combine fruit, the water, juice, honey, sugar and margarine in large saucepan. Stir over heat, without boiling, until margarine melts. Transfer mixture to large heatproof bowl; cool.
2. Grease 2.25-litre (9-cup) pudding steamer; line base with baking paper.
3. Stir sifted dry ingredients and ground almonds into fruit mixture.
4. Spoon mixture into steamer, cover with greased foil; secure with lid or kitchen string. Place steamer in large saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up side of steamer; simmer, covered, about 6 hours, replenishing with boiling water as necessary to maintain water level.
5. Stand pudding 10 minutes before turning onto serving plate.